Recap: Consumers Energy 400 at Michigan International Speedway
- Kevin Harvick gets the win
- Harvick passed Joey Logano with 18 to go to take the lead and would hang on to win his second Cup Series race of the season and his second August race in a row at Michigan.
- Harvick was asked postrace about his strategy on the final restart with 48 laps to go.
- Harvick was able to overcome a flat tire earlier in the race. He talked about that after the race.
- Finally, Harvick involved his son, Keelin, in the postrace celebration again, letting Keelin ride in the passenger side of the car during his burnouts. I got a chance to ask him about Keelin’s racing future in the press conference.
- Denny Hamlin came home second after several driver had to pit for fuel late in the race. He was asked if there was anything he could have done at the end to catch Harvick for the win.
- Kyle Larson said he was surprised to finish third. He was asked about his strategy the last run of the race.
- Martin Truex Jr. made his 500th start Sunday with a special paint scheme and a tuxedo fire suit. He started with a handicap though, having to go to the back of the field at the start because his car failed prerace tech three times. He talked about that after the race.
- Kyle Larson +71
- Erik Jones +70
- Ryan Newman +16
- Clint Bowyer +6
- Daniel Suarez -6
- Jimmie Johnson -12
- Paul Menard -53
- Chris Buescher -73
- Leftovers from Watkins Glen
- Jimmie Johnson and Ryan Blaney make up over some tallboys
- Kyle Busch speaks for the first time after his runnins with William Byron and Bubba Wallace
- Kyle was asked what he thought of the fact that both drivers he had trouble with were former drivers of his
- Clint Bowyer expected to return to SHR next season
- Matt Dibenedetto is not likely to return to the 95 next season. Also of note, Erik Jones is reportedly close on his contract, which would keep him in the 20 car. So it looks as if Christopher Bell may be headed to the 95 next season
- Lastly in silly season news, David Ragen has announced that he will be retiring at the end of the season to spend time wiht his family.
- NASCAR will increase the diameter of its tires for the 2021 season to 18 inches instead of the current 15. Tires would also likely have a lower profile than they currently have.
Gander Outdoors Truck Series Playoff Preview
- Matt Crafton finished XXX. Clinches the final spot in the playoffs. Crafton was asked how he felt now that he was locked into the playoffs.
- Audio (1:13)
- Sheldon Creed finished second in the race. He needed a win to make the playoffs. I got to talk to him about that following the race.
- Brett Moffitt is the points leader after the reset and the defending champion after an unexpected win last year. I talked to him about his change in position this season as the playoffs begin.
- Johnny Sauter had trouble on pit road and finished XX Saturday. He’s qualified for the playoffs after a win XX, but has struggled at many points this season. I talked to him after the race.
- Ross Chastain was taken out early in the same pit road incident that involved Sauter. Despite not collecting points during the first part of the season, Chastain has qualified for the playoffs with a win and by finishing in the top 20 in points. I asked him after the race if he considers himself an underdog.
- Grant Enfinger won the regular season championship, though did it without a win all season. He finished XX at Michigan. After the race, he was asked whether he thought he was a favorite to win the title.
- Ben Rhodes had a fast truck all day, but contact and a flat tire ended his chances at the win and a playoff berth, as he limped home to a XX place finish. Ben talked about it after the race.
Preview: Bass Pro Shops NRA Night Race from Bristol Motor Speedway
- James: Jamie McMurray
- Eric: Kyle Busch
- Eric: Matt Dibenedetto
- James: Danica Patrick
- Shoutouts if any
Fantasy League Update
- Where can we be found on social media?
- James @jameskuch on Twitter
- Eric @TSuperspeedway on Twitter
- Facebook: Facebook.com/TheSuperSpeedway
For more of the podcast: